Wednesday 25 June 2014

You don't have to shop at Primark

You may have heard about the cry-for-help label a customer found in a £10 Primark dress,

The label may or may not be genuine, but it still draws our attention to a horrible reality: as Western consumers, an awful lot of the items we purchase are produced by people who are being exploited. And by exploited, I don't mean they won't get a pay raise this year or will get less paid vacation. I mean they work over 12 hours a day for a salary that barely covers they most basic needs (that is, if they are paid at all), in appalling conditions such as little hygiene, poor lighting resulting in eyesight damage, cramped rooms, or exposure to harmful chemicals.

Now I know what some people might say: "I shop in Primark because I can't afford any alternative", like this lady writing for The Independent.

Actually, if you are genuinely concerned about ethical clothing but are worried about cost, you don't have to shop at Primark. Here are the reasons why.

1. Disposable fashion.

I don't know about you, but I have often found Primark clothing to be poor quality. After a few washes, the fabric seems to get thinner, the seams are askew, the item shrinks lengthwise but gets wider. This is because Primark clothes are not designed to last. With new styles being introduced several times a year, you get the buzz of finding a new trendy outfit, only to see it outdated in a matter of months. Soon you crave another new fashion item and the old one can be disposed of because it never was made to last anyway. This is exactly what fashion chain stores want you to do - actually, this is what the whole consumerist system wants you to do. They want you to keep buying stuff from them - even if you don't need it. In fact, they are willing to go to any length to make you buy stuff that you don't need.

If you go for style and quality instead, your clothes will last longer, and you won't look like every other fashionista out there: you will look like you, with your very own style. And if you buy quality that lasts, it will in fact turn out cheaper, because you won't need to keep buying clothes to replace those that are worn out too soon.

2. If you just love clothes (trust me, I do!), there actually are cheap alternatives to Primark.

Think second-hand: charity shops or jumble sales. Here you can find good quality, stylish clothes for a fraction of their original price. You may need to do a bit of searching, but it's as fun as a treasure hunt, and you're likely to find unique items. I once found a really cool leather jacket for €25 (£20). And if online shopping is your thing, Oxfam has an online shop as well. If you're hooked on the buzz of getting something new, why not hold regular clothes swap parties with your friends? Granted, items you will buy may still have been made by exploited workers, but you won't be paying into the system that keeps them exploited.

Don't be a fashion victim - be a trendsetter.



My £20 leather jacket!



6 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more, Kit. Fashion is toxic. & if anyone were in doubt of that all they need to do is visit any mall & they'll see all those trendy yougins in their God awful 90s revival outfits. *shudders*

    Style however, is timeless. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it takes confidence to find and develop your own style, and some young people lack confidence. It comes with age maybe! I do like some fashion items sometimes, but by no means will I let fashion dictate what I wear.

      Delete
  2. Well thanks a bunch! Who knew Oxfam were on-line too!!! Between ebay and local charity shops I thought my second hand clothes addiction was bad enough, now with Oxfam on-line my bank balance is in serious trouble......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ah ah! I'm feeding your addiction... sorry!!

      Delete
  3. I love love love this.

    It's better to be your own person than to be like everyone else.... A sentiment that echoes something my daughter said at her graduation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're enjoying my posts :) Shopping ethically is important to me, but it can be a hard thing to do in our society, sadly.

      Delete