Wednesday 13 August 2014

Robin Williams, suicide, and choice

Since the news of Robin William's death came yesterday, a lot has been written over the internet about depression and suicide.

Most people expressed sadness and compassion. Many shared their own struggle with depression. But some simplistic-minded people expressed opinions that left the rest of us reeling with disbelief and anger. Matt Walsh's blog is one example: he basically implies that suicide is a wilful choice, and offers joy as "the only thing that defeats depression". Although I do not know the man, I think it unlikely that he has any personal knowledge of the issue, given how simplistic his assessment is.

While I am no doctor or psychiatrist, I suffered from depression for many years. It started in my early teens and followed me long into adulthood. At certain times, it was a burden so heavy that I simply could not function. At others times, it was like a ball and chain I was dragging around, slowing me down. It often wrecked havoc in my sleep patterns and appetite.

Depression can also trigger destructive behaviour, which can be a cry for help, or the result of self-loathing, or being so far gone that you no longer care - or a bit of all three. As a teenager, I cut my forearm with a knife. As a thirty-something, I drank too much. And I did contemplate suicide several times - in fact, I had a failed attempt at the age of 15 (and very thankful it was a failure, too).

Is suicide a choice? In a way, yes, but that is only part of the picture. Depression can choke you up in such a way that you feel like there are no other alternatives. None at all.

My mother is a nurse and we once discussed euthanasia. She told me that in many cases, what patients really want is for the pain to stop. When they're given medication that relieves their suffering, those people usually no longer wish to die. Depression can be just the same - it's not so much that you want to die, it's that you want to stop hurting, and you feel like nothing else can make the pain stop, ever. You feel trapped, crushed, all hope extinguished - the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

I’ve been in that place where death feels like the only way to stop the pain and the anguish. I chose, time and again, to say “no” to suicide. But if you've never been in that place, you have no right to condemn someone who has, because you do not know what such hopelessness feels like.

Suicide may be a choice, but it's one you make when you feel trapped and cornered; when you feel all other options have been taken away from you. Maybe not such a wilful choice after all!

It's true that only you have the power to get better; but at the same time, you whole being feels empty of any power. And in those times, you need support - not easy answers. I once was told the following by a counsellor: "You're making yourself depressed. Keep yourself busy and you'll forget to feel sad. Smile and people will smile back at you." Oh, if only it were so simple! Depression is not a choice. I did not want to be depressed. I wanted to be happy and full of life, but I couldn't. I simply couldn't. Telling me it was my fault added guilt to the deep emotional distress I was feeling. It did not help.

It is true that depression is more than a chemical imbalance – there are many other factors, including spiritual ones. Yet it is a disease, a very real disease that can cause immense pain and grief. There are no easy answers, even for the Christian. I have heard well-meaning Christians say that "Depression isn't from God". That may well be, but neither is cancer - and we ought to aknowledge the battle of those who fight it, not belittle it or burden them with the guilt of lacking faith or lacking joy.

So how do you get better? I don't know. Everyone is different.

How did I get better? I never let depression define me. I often felt that there was a happy woman inside me, eager to come out, and come out she did. Many things helped. Friends and family. Counselling (with a better counsellor than the one I discussed earlier!). My faith. Writing. Long walks. Learning to savour little joys such as the feeling of rain on my face, tasting a favourite dish, enjoying someone's company, listening to music. Happiness crept back on me and I clung to it.

How can you get better? I don't know how you can. I'm not you. But I know you can. Keep trying - don't give up.



Stephen Fry is an English comedian, actor and writer who suffers from depression.

One final word: the best book I have ever read about depression is Michael Rosen's Sad Book. Look it up.

7 comments:

  1. It starts when we resume talking to one another, instead of through one another. Depression goes unnoticed and unmanaged. Depression often needs help. Not a mother love type of help, but a true, honest, knowledgable, caring and often clinical help. Depression is scary because it's hard to understand. But we can't fix anything by hiding under a rug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Robin Williams' deah has started a conversation about it, I am glad.

      Delete
  2. I cannot begin to fathom being in such a dark place as to be able to block out all of those loved ones, all of those friends and all of the aftermath left for them to deal with. I am one of those who have never been in that place that you talk about. I can tell you that I have, as I would be willing to bet most have, been touched by suicide, but comprehension is beyond my capacity. I am guessing that is your point. Compassion for those left behind, compassion for those who have been in that place and have pulled themselves out and compassion for those in that dark place and want out, one way or the other.....I am grateful that you failed in your attempt. Thanks for writing this. Hopefully something good will come out of Robin's pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I understand what you mean about compassion for those left behind. In fact, that very thought was the ultimate thing that stopped me when I have been tempted to try again - because I still loved them too much to inflict them such pain. But I also have a grasp of how depression can obliterate even that. In addition, when you suffer from depression, it affects your relationships - you feel misunderstood at best, rejected and isolated more often than not. Your loved ones are no longer a source of joy. You're right, though - we need compassion for all.

      Delete
  3. I had this conversation with my CBT therapist yesterday. He has he says helped many people out of depressive states with behavioural therapy. Though he did also say that he doesn't actually truly believe in depression at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not believing in depression is an odd concept. Hundred thousands of people suffer from something we call "depression". Saying he doesn't truly believe in it belittles their suffering in my humble opinion.

      Delete