Tuesday 2 December 2014

Taking off the rose-tinted glasses

I guess my latest post may have puzzled some of you.

Back in October, I wrote about finding the positive in my work. That is what I have been striving to do for almost two years, because I don't want to be ungrateful for what I do have, and because looking at the positive helps me feel better.

However, the more time goes by, the less I can deny this very simple truth:

I actually hate my job.

Obviously, there is the fact that it doesn't fit my training, experience and skills at all. I have two university degrees - one in languages and translation, and the other one in teaching. Over the years, I have worked in the administrative field at first, then in the education field, mainly as a teaching assistant and holiday carer for children with special needs. Now I work in a supermarket. I have no training in sales or marketing, and no affinity for those kind of things.

In fact, the more I work in sales, the more appalled I am by the tactics used to make people buy things (I wrote a little bit about that in my post about advertising). For instance, we regularly have a "Buy one, get one free" offer on crates of cheap beer - and this, in a town where alcohol problems are rampant. I find that criminal, but, "That's just business". Not to mention the conditions in which many of the things we sell are made - think about slave-harvested shrimp or chocolate. So I am part of an industry that goes against everything I believe in.

There is also the work environment itself. I have an autistic spectrum disorder. I have sensory issues - I am extremely sensitive to noise, and my brains struggles to process more than one information at once. In my shop, there is the buzzing of fridges, neon lights, and air conditioning, the beeping of the tills, the constant background music - and I cannot shut it off. As a result, I struggle to concentrate on my work, and at the end of the day, I am mentally exhausted even though my job isn't intellectually challenging. Sensory overload, coupled with my low tolerance to stress, has brought about many a meltdown.

Another issue is having to interact with a lot of people. Don't get me wrong, I usually like people and enjoy helping them. However, having to deal with customers' requests while carrying out other tasks I need to focus on is difficult. And I really struggle with people's familiarity. Customers see me every day, and they seem to think I'm somehow close to them. Of course, this means the culturally expected greeting kiss, but it also means some customers feel it's OK to squeeze my shoulder or even, I kid you not, affectionately slap my bum (I politely asked the lady who did it every time she saw me to stop doing it. She took it well, but what made her think it was OK in the first place?).

The content of the job itself is the same week in, week out. It's not interesting, and most of the time I'm really cold, because I'm in the refrigerated foods department.

So all in all, and not matter how many fun little sides I may found to it, and no matter how much I want to be grateful to have a job in the first place, I hate it, and I struggle more and more.

I need a new job, but I don't even know where to start...

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are in this awkward, uncomfortable and exhausting situation that shows no sign of ending.

    Firstly, the fact that you have stuck with it as long as you have shows your immense strength of character and WHEN you can show this to an employer in the fields you are trained in, there is no doubt that they will snap you up in an instant. Or at least they should and if they don't then they are idiots.

    Secondly, as I know you have strong and active faith and belief in God and in His power to do as He will, I'm going to suggest praying, even once a week or whatever you can manage for the path to be made incandescant, radiant and luminous to your eyes.

    And although it may take some time, the right conversation, the perfect book, the unexpected chance encounter, or the uncanny and timely epiphany will present itself to you and the path will light up before you.

    I hope you find the path soon.

    Best regards
    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Seb, that's actually excellent advice!

      Delete
  2. start looking. Use the job you have as a potential starting point....are some of these customers, in addition to slapping your bum, potential contacts at other places of employment? Do you know any of them well enough do discuss your ambitions and qualifications with? You never know! Everyone has to grocery shop...the key for you is to find the right ones who might help you further your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. My problem is that I am much less confident in real life. I'm not surehow to broach the subject. I'm not even entirely sure what job would better suit me - I am aware no job is perfect, but some fit better than others. The content of the job is important, but equally important are the people we work with.

      Delete
  3. I don't suppose you have the time and energy to volunteer somewhere you'd actually like to work? It's just a good way to get a foot in the door of something you might actually enjoy, if you don't like it cut your losses but if you do then at least you have a foot already in the door when a job does come up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea, except that I currently work full-time and it drains me so much I cannot imagine doing extra volunteer work...

      Delete
  4. I could not do your job for the same reasons you struggle with it. It is not a bad job, just not right for people like us. Keep your eyes and heart open to all possibilities, and like gt said keep talking to people even if it is uncomfortable, and something is bound to come up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am not working there out of choice, other than the choice I made to take the first job that I was offered rather than staying on unemployment benefit.

      Delete