Friday 6 February 2015

Slices of happiness

As some of you may know, I struggled with depression for a long time. A friend asked me recently how I got over it. It's a complex question, but part of the answer, I think, lies in how we view happiness. 

For the longest time, happiness was always in the future; only attainable when this or that would happen.

I will be happy... when I find a better job.

I will be happy... when I lose weight.

I will be happy... when I meet the right man.

I was expecting to be happy once my life was perfect. Only then would I feel at peace. 

Of course, such an expectation is utterly unrealistic, and bound to cause a lot of harm. Life is never perfect; we can never be completely satisfied. Moreover, when you scratch a little deeper, you realise it's extremely selfish, too: I will be happy once I've got everything I want - when everything finally goes my way.

When I took my first steps out of depression, I began to find happiness in small, ordinary joys such as these:

- Being silly with my mum.
- Hugs and cuddles.
- Having a good laugh with friends.
- Cooking a meal for someone.
- Feeling dark chocolate melt in my mouth and the powerful flavour hitting my tastebuds.
- Enjoying a long warm bath.
- Curling up with a good book.
- Helping someone.
- Singing along to a song that is meaningful to me.
- Going for a bike ride or a walk in the countryside on a sunny day.
- Finding the perfect present for a loved one and anticipating how happy they'll be when they open it.
- Snuggling in bed.
- Eating a favourite food.
- Looking out the window and see the sunshine.
- Looking out the window and see lots of snow.

- Building a snowman.
- The crunchy sound of a dry leaf when you step on it.
- Spotting a rainbow.
- Running into someone I haven't seen in a long time.
- Receiving a parcel in the post.
- Decorating the Christmas tree.

- Getting a hug from my brother (who rarely gives hugs).
- Being caught in a heavy rain in the summer and feel the water run down my face.
- Drinking a hot mocha.
- Being swept away by the excitement of a concert.
- Cuddling my cat and hearing him purr.
- Lying down in the grass on a hot summer day and feel the earth underneath me, looking up at the starry sky.
- Finding out my birthday is the same day as one of my favourite artists.
- Getting a text message, a card or an email from a loved friend.
- Getting a letter from my sponsored child.

Such small slices of happiness warm the heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment